I would first like to thank the series editor Naresh Malhotra. His guidance and comments dramatically improved the content and delivery of the material.
I would also like to thank colleagues Bill Hamlen, Ken Kim, Alan Dick, and Yong Li for providing guidance and reviewing book chapters related to their expertise. I would also like to thank Larry Meile from Boston College for reading early drafts of several chapters. His comments helped to focus the theme of the book. Elisabeth Beccue was very instrumental in her deft copy editing during the final phase of the book. It would have been very difficult to complete this book without the excellent administrative assistance and support of Karen Drass. James McMahon provided invaluable editing assistance of the book and also assisted with the preparation of the presentation supplements. Thanks are also extended to Keith Randolph, my source of engineering insight, for listening to my ideas and providing feedback.
It was clear after working on the book for over a year that the complexity and breadth of topics would require assistance if the book was to be completed in a reasonable time. Special thanks are extended to the following individuals who contributed in many ways to the content and structure of the book:
- Ron Huefner assisted with preparing the chapter on firm value. Ron actually took my initial draft of the chapter and completely rewrote it. He also read the first draft of the book and provided invaluable editorial comments.
- Sung Jin assisted with preparing the chapters on lock-in and creativity. Sung also assisted with a variety of editing activities to get the book ready for production.
- Yong Jin Kim assisted with preparing the chapter on real options.
- Lorena Mathien assisted with preparing the chapter on project management.
- Barbara Sherman assisted with preparing the chapter on the FAD template.
- Xiao Tang assisted with preparing the chapters on strategic planning, the Ten–Ten planning process, and the chapter on the development of the business plan. Xiao also assisted with a variety of editing activities to get the book ready for production.
- Chul Woo Yoo assisted with preparing the chapter on product and price differentiation and also assisted with preparing the chapter illustrating how the concepts can be applied.
Thanks to my spouse Jody and my son Sean for listening to my recount of the numerous business plans developed by the students and for serving as a sounding board for several ideas.
Finally, I would like to thank the nearly 1,000 students who pushed me to reach further and further to formulate and develop the course content.